Saturday, May 1, 2010

Family Returns Adopted Russian Son

A couple from Virginia adopted a severely disabled Russian child and has now sued the adoption agency saying “it deceived them.” The newspaper has recently reported that the couple is suing because of alleged misrepresentations concerning the adoption of their son Roman, who is 8 years old. The couple adopted Roman in 2004, and are filing a “complaint,” and or suit 4 years after adopting him. The couple has reported saying the due to the child’s intelligent level he requires attention all day and that it has destroyed their family. The family had made it clear in the beginning of the adoption process that they were willing to take care of child with mild disabilities. However, Roman was never cleared from any doctors of his condition. The court papers do have legal copies and recognitions of the conditions of Roman and how the family was unaware of how sever his condition was because of the lack of communication from the adoption agency.

At this point, I guess the family wants to return this child they were taking care of for over 5 years. I’m sure it will be very hard for the family to give up this child because of the emotional attachment they have towards each other. I feel the court will take in to consideration how Roman could have now been attached to his now parents and how it could be a negative effect for him if he is not with them anymore. If the child was so “severely disabled” he had to of showed actions early on the adoption. How has the family realized over four years later that the child’s condition is too much for them to handle?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/04/29/Russian-adoptee-allegedly-ruining-home/UPI-25831272574535/

2 comments:

  1. Although I can see where the adoption agency was in the wrong, I don't understand how people can welcome someone into their family and accept them as their own, and then turn their back on them.

    I have a few questions for the family: Why did it take 4 years to file a complaint? What will the family REALLY get out of this lawsuit? Is this REALLY worth the time, money, and effort?

    I'm just seeing this situation as them giving up on the child rather than coming together as a family and accepting him as he is and working together to help him progress. I have an adopted relative with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and I've seen first hand what kind of stress can be put on a family. Emotionally, I can see it's tough on my aunt (my cousin, too, needs close to 24-hr supervision, attends a special needs school & will never be able to live on her own), but I could never imagine my aunt her giving her away because of her condition.

    Every situation is different, though, and maybe his violence is something really difficult for the family to deal with... but what if this child was born into their family this way? Would they still have given up on him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally, 100% agree with your comment. I feel the same way. That is why this article disturbed me in a way.

    ReplyDelete