Sunday, March 28, 2010

Utah Gov. OKs Eminent Domain Use on Federal Land

By: BROCK VERGAKIS
The Associated Press

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/28/AR2010032801320.html


In my opinion, I'm torn. At heart, I'm a bit of an enivornmentalist. I hate all the developments and useless buildings popping up all over. But at the same time millions for state schools doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I'm just not reading the article correctly, but in this economy, is it really worth Utah spending $3 million fighting a battle that "has little chance of success"?

1 comment:

  1. I personally think that having information that ‘Utah spends less per student than any other state and has the nation’s largest class sizes’ and then the lawmakers ‘recently slashed education funding by $10 million and raised taxes on cigarettes by $1 a pack’ do not add up. The only part of those two sentences that I agree with is that the cigarette tax was increased. I believe that if something is not a necessity, people would be willing and able to afford additional tax on the item. For example, with the new Healthcare Bill that was recently signed by our President, tanning will now have an additional tax and I whole-heartedly agree with this premise.

    Anyway, I think that I am going to say that I am ‘on the fence’ with what Utah is trying to do to help with education system and also the means they are going about to get it. It seems like they’re taking land from innocent people and, in essence, punishing them for the state’s inability to produce the funds needed for education. They are also trying to use free-space for production and we are slowly learning that we need to protect our environment. On the flip side, the education system definitely needs improvement based on the information given in the article. I would like to see how Utah fixes this situation, but then again…America as a whole is just starting to fix itself as well and that’s a much larger problem by proportion.

    ReplyDelete