Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Man Sues Neighbor Over Common Electronic Use

In this article, a resident of Sante Fe, NM, has sued his neighbor over her usage of electronics, claiming her use of her devices is making him sick. Firstenberg says that he is highly sensitive to specific frequencies that common electronics produce triggered by electronics such as cell phones, internet routers, etc. His symptoms triggered by the over usage of electronic frequencies had stopped until his friend/neighbor moved in to the house across the street from Firstenberg. He asked Monribot, his neighbor, to limit the use of her devices and to "work with him," but she basically refused.
Firstenberg is suing Monribot $530,000 in damages and an injunction to shut her electronics off. Monribot is upset of the case with Firstenberg. She feels that it is a violation of her privacy upon her, and within her house. Although some medical research claims that electronic frequencies that cause serious illness, other medical reviews differ. The court will have to decide what is best for both parties. Firstenberg and Monribot both have their private homes involved, which in most cases, one party might suffer more than the other. At the trial, Firsteberg will present his case and then Moribot, as the defendant, can challenge this case. (Chapter 2)

Link: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/03/29/Man-sues-friend-over-electronics-use/UPI-36531269874284/

4 comments:

  1. I found this article very amusing. The man who considers himself electromagnetic hypersensitive actually has no medical backing because it is not medically/scientifically recognized as a disorder or condition. So, using his basic breakdown as to why he is suing his neighbor/friend, I could sue my neighbor for planting hydrangea in her garden even though I have asked her not to because I am extremely allergic. (this is hypothetical…)

    First, using my example of hydrangea, she is planting her flowers in her own yard and not affecting the property that I own. She cannot control the pollen that the flowers emit because that is the basic life cycle of flora. Second, if I had such a problem with her hydrangea, I would move. Even though I have a basic right to life and liberty, so does my neighbor…so who am I to tell her not to plant her flowers?

    I think that this case is a bit ridiculous and just shows how willing individuals are to sue over petty grievances. Also, $500k is a bit steep…does he have $500k worth of medical bills? This seems unlikely because electromagnetic hypersensivity is not medically acknowledged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guy should live with the Amish. Firstenberg has no case. It would be fun to be the judge on this case, because I would be very surprised if there is any legal precedent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I didn't even think of that...and I completely agree...he should go live with the Amish!! Good call Adam! Haha. =)

    ReplyDelete